The Florida National Guard Retention Ribbon honors Florida National Guard members in positions of leadership who have retained a minimum of five soldiers or airmen in the course of their leadership.
The Florida National Guard is composed of the Florida Army National Guard and the Florida Air National Guard. An estimated 12,000 soldiers serve the Army component, which traces its roots back to a Spanish militia that defended the territory against French settlers in 1565 and took on its official form when the 1903 Militia Act incorporated existing state militias into the National Guard. The Air component is based in St. Augustine’s St. Francis Barracks and became official in September of 1947, coinciding with the formation of the Air Force as a distinct branch of the United States military.
The ribbon is green and is bisected by a thin vertical red stripe.
Subsequent awards may be indicated by oak leaf clusters.