Established on August 26, 1947, the Hawaii National Guard Active Duty Basic Training Ribbon honors Hawaii National Guard members who satisfactorily complete an initial basic training course. It may be awarded retroactively for training completed dating back to August 10, 1955.
Composed of the Hawaii Army National Guard and Hawaii Air National Guard, the Hawaii National Guard has seen incarnations as a nineteenth-century militia and the Hawaii Territorial Guard before establishment in its current form in 1942. The Army and Air components are both headquartered in Honolulu; the latter was officially recognized by the federal government on November 4, 1946.
The ribbon is divided into equal sections of white in the center and red on either side and features yellow edging.