Established on January 1, 1930, the Hawaii National Guard Service Medal honors Hawaii National Guard members who carry out 10 consecutive years of honorable service, allowing for a 60-day reenlistment grace period.
Composed of the Hawaii Army National Guard and Hawaii Air National Guard, the Hawaii National Guard has seen incarnations as a nineteenth-century militia and the Hawaii Territorial Guard before establishment in its current form in 1942. The Army and Air components are both headquartered in Honolulu; the latter was officially recognized by the federal government on November 4, 1946.
The medal is in the shape of a cross with two-pointed, round-tipped ends and ridges between them. In the center appears the image of a fish holding a key and the words “HAWAII NATIONAL GUARD.” The ribbon features a red section on the right with a thin vertical gold stripe toward the edge and a gold section on the left with a thin vertical red stripe toward the edge.
Bronze Kahili devices and numeral clasps may be issued to indicate subsequent terms of service.