Established on January 2, 1997, the Indiana National Guard Retention Ribbon honors Indiana National Guard members who successfully ensure the retention of five fellow members.
Numbering over 16,000, the Indiana National Guard is composed of the Indiana Army National Guard and the Indiana Air National Guard. The Army component, headquartered in Indianapolis, dates back as far as 1801, when a volunteer militia formed in the territory. The Air component is made up of the 122d Fighter Wing, based in Fort Wayne, and the 181st Intelligence Wing, based in Terre Haute.
The ribbon is white with three thin vertical red stripes toward each edge.