Established on May 2, 1980 and now obsolete, the Maine National Guard Distinguished Service Award honored Maine National Guard members who demonstrated excellence in carrying out duties of particular responsibility or significance on behalf of Maine. Feats of heroism may also qualify for the award.
Composed of the Maine Army National Guard and Maine Air National Guard, the Maine National Guard originated as a militia force in 1820 when Maine attained statehood. The Air component was officially recognized in February of 1947 and is headquartered in Bangor; the Army component traces back to colonial-era militia activity and is currently based in Augusta.
The ribbon is bisected by a thin vertical white stripe flanked by a thick red stripe on either side; proceeding outward toward each edge are thin stripes of white, dark blue, yellow, and dark blue again.
Subsequent awards may be indicated by a silver star; acts of heroism are indicated by the bronze “V” device.