The Maryland National Guard Recruiting Ribbon honors Maryland National Guard members who successfully bring about two new enlistments or who are responsible for retaining two enlisted individuals. Members serving in an official recruiting capacity are not eligible for the award. Members who can provide documentation of three or more enlistments before January 1987 may also be eligible for the award.
The Maryland National Guard is composed of the Maryland Army National Guard and the Maryland Air National Guard. The origins of the Army component date back to colonial militia activity as early as 1634 near the Chesapeake Bay; it is currently headquartered in Baltimore. The Air component, also based in Baltimore, consists primarily in the 175th Wing and originated in 1921 with the federal recognition of the 104th Observation Squadron.
The ribbon is bisected by a thick vertical yellow stripe flanked on either side by a slightly thinner white stripe and thin stripes of black, yellow, and red proceeding outward toward each edge.