Established on June 27, 1908, the Navy/Marine Corps version of the Philippine Campaign Medal honors Navy and Marine Corps personnel who served ashore in support of particular Army units or aboard designated vessels in or surrounding the Philippine Islands between the dates of February 4, 1899 and December 31, 1904.
The Philippine Campaign Medal originally had distinct criteria from the Army’s version of the award but was recognized as the same award in 1913, though the branches maintained different medal styles.
The Navy/Marine Corps version of the medal features an image of the Manila city gate over the years “1898-1903” framed by laurel branches. Text on the upper portion of the medal reads “PHILIPPINE CAMPAIGN.” The reverse features the image of an eagle perched on an anchor with a draped chain upon which are inscribed the words “FOR SERVICE.” Oak and laurel decorate the lower portion of the medal, and text reads either “UNITED STATES NAVY” or “UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS” as appropriate. The original ribbon issued between 1908-1913, was divided into equal thirds of yellow in the center and red on each side. Thereafter, a blue ribbon with a red vertical stripe toward each edge was issued.