The Mississippi National Guard Service School Medal honors Mississippi National Guard members who satisfactorily complete designated Service School courses while a member of the Mississippi Guard and not in the process of carrying out federal service.
The Mississippi National Guard is composed of the Mississippi Army National Guard and the Mississippi Air National Guard. The Army component dates back to 1798, when a territorial militia took shape; it is currently headquartered in Jackson. The Air component traces its roots back to 1939, when the 153d Observation Squadron was formed; the Air component is now based in Jackson as well.
The ribbon is white with a vertical dark blue stripe on each edge.