The North Dakota National Guard Emergency Service / Berlin Crisis Ribbon honors North Dakota National Guard members who carried out service during the Berlin Crisis following mobilization in October 1961.
The North Dakota National Guard is composed of the North Dakota Army National Guard and the North Dakota Air National Guard. Headquartered in Bismarck, the Army component traces its roots back to 1883 and currently numbers approximately 3,500. The Air component is based in Fargo and was established in 1947; it consists of the 119th Wing and the 219th Security Forces Squadron.
The ribbon is red with alternating thin vertical stripes in the center, four white and three blue; it also features blue edging and a bar reading “BERLIN CRISIS.”