Established in 1925 under the name “Fleet Marine Reserve Medal” and having assumed its current name in 1984, the Selected Marine Corps Reserve Medal honors Marine Corps Reservists who carry out a required term of service honorably and without incurring disciplinary action. Intervals of mobilization may not be counted toward this term.
On January 1, 1996, the minimum term of service was reduced from four years to three.
The medal is bronze and features two men in profile walking next to each other; it also features an inscription reading “MARINE CORPS RESERVE - FOR SERVICE.” The ribbon is bisected by a vertical red stripe flanked on either side by a thick tan stripe and one thin stripe each of blue, white, and red proceeding outward to each edge.
Subsequent awards may be indicated by bronze service stars.