The naval edition of the West Indies Campaign medal was established in 1908 to recognize members of the United States Navy who served in the West Indies during the Spanish-American War. After the U.S. signed an agreement to end the display of Spain’s national colors on U.S. service medals, the award was discontinued in 1913 and was replaced by the Spanish Campaign Medal.
Awardees of the West Indies Campaign Medal were eligible to exchange it for the Spanish Campaign Medal.
The medal depicts Morro Castle, a fortress that guards the Havana harbor in Cuba. Text reading “WEST INDIES CAMPAIGN” is inscribed on the upper half of the medal, and the numeral “1898” appears on the bottom. The ribbon features three yellow and two navy blue vertical stripes, although awards prior to 1913 were issued with yellow and red stripes.