The Delaware National Guard Medal honors Delaware National Guard members who serve a term of federal mobilization as directed by the President of the United States.
Headquartered in Wilmington and New Castle respectively, the Delaware Army National Guard and the Delaware Air National Guard together make up the Delaware National Guard. The Air component was established on September 6, 1946 and currently consists of the 166th Airlift Wing, which is served by more than 1,100 individuals. The Army component originated in 1655 when a group of settlers from Sweden defended the area from Dutch aggression.
The medal is in the shape of a diamond and features the image of the State Seal of Delaware; The ribbon is divided into equal sections of dark blue on the right and yellow on the left.
Subsequent awards may be indicated by gold star devices.