Established on February 5, 1962, the Indiana National Guard Distinguished Service Medal honors Indiana National Guard members who carry out noteworthy service or otherwise contribute to the Indiana National Guard by improving its practices or renown.
Numbering over 16,000, the Indiana National Guard is composed of the Indiana Army National Guard and the Indiana Air National Guard. The Army component, headquartered in Indianapolis, dates back as far as 1801, when a volunteer militia formed in the territory. The Air component is made up of the 122d Fighter Wing, based in Fort Wayne, and the 181st Intelligence Wing, based in Terre Haute.
The medal is silver and octagonal and features the image of the Seal of Indiana encircled by an inscription reading “INDIANA - LOYAL IN PEACE OR WAR.” The ribbon is dark green and is bisected by a thin vertical gold stripe followed by a dark green interval and a thinner orange stripe on each side; it also features yellow edging.