Established on August 28, 2002, the Indiana National Guard Overseas Service Ribbon honors Indiana National Guard members who carry out service in designated overseas areas on or subsequent to September 11, 2001 for a term of thirty days or more.
Numbering over 16,000, the Indiana National Guard is composed of the Indiana Army National Guard and the Indiana Air National Guard. The Army component, headquartered in Indianapolis, dates back as far as 1801, when a volunteer militia formed in the territory. The Air component is made up of the 122d Fighter Wing, based in Fort Wayne, and the 181st Intelligence Wing, based in Terre Haute.
The ribbon features a thick vertical white stripe in the center flanked on either side by slightly thinner stripes of blue and yellow proceeding outward.