Established on May 2, 1980, the Maine National Guard Academic Award honors Maine National Guard members who have achieved academic honors in training, instructional courses, leadership schools, and other qualifying educational ventures. It may be awarded retroactively.
Composed of the Maine Army National Guard and Maine Air National Guard, the Maine National Guard originated as a militia force in 1820 when Maine attained statehood. The Air component was officially recognized in February of 1947 and is headquartered in Bangor; the Army component traces back to colonial-era militia activity and is currently based in Augusta.
The ribbon is divided into equal sections with white in the center and dark blue on either side.
Subsequent awards may be indicated by silver stars.