Established on May 2, 1980, the Maine National Guard Recruiting Award honors Maine National Guard members who successfully obtain five new enlistments within a period of one year. Individuals serving in an official capacity as recruiters are not eligible.
Composed of the Maine Army National Guard and Maine Air National Guard, the Maine National Guard originated as a militia force in 1820 when Maine attained statehood. The Air component was officially recognized in February of 1947 and is headquartered in Bangor; the Army component traces back to colonial-era militia activity and is currently based in Augusta.
The ribbon is divided into three equal sections, with red in the center and blue on either side.