Established on December 30, 1957, the Maine National Guard Basic Training Ribbon honors Maine National Guard members who satisfactorily complete active duty basic training. It is the Maine National Guard’s oldest award.
Composed of the Maine Army National Guard and Maine Air National Guard, the Maine National Guard originated as a militia force in 1820 when Maine attained statehood. The Air component was officially recognized in February of 1947 and is headquartered in Bangor; the Army component traces back to colonial-era militia activity and is currently based in Augusta.
The ribbon is divided into equal sections with white in the center flanked by red on either side; it also features yellow edging.