Established on July 27, 1962, the Maine National Guard National Emergency Service Ribbon
honors Maine national guard members who carry out honorable service in the event of a designated national emergency.
Composed of the Maine Army National Guard and Maine Air National Guard, the Maine National Guard originated as a militia force in 1820 when Maine attained statehood. The Air component was officially recognized in February of 1947 and is headquartered in Bangor; the Army component traces back to colonial-era militia activity and is currently based in Augusta.
The ribbon is red and features a pattern of alternating thin vertical stripes in the center, four white and three dark blue, as well as dark blue edging.