The Mississippi National Guard War Medal honors Mississippi National Guard members who carry out honorable service in the event of a National Emergency as declared by Congress.
The Mississippi National Guard is composed of the Mississippi Army National Guard and the Mississippi Air National Guard. The Army component dates back to 1798, when a territorial militia took shape; it is currently headquartered in Jackson. The Air component traces its roots back to 1939, when the 153d Observation Squadron was formed; the Air component is now based in Jackson as well.
The ribbon is divided into three equal sections with dark blue in the middle and red on each side.