The Delaware National Guard Governor’s Meritorious Unit Award honors Delaware National Guard units that distinguish themselves through outstanding accomplishments or comportment.
Headquartered in Wilmington and New Castle respectively, the Delaware Army National Guard and the Delaware Air National Guard together make up the Delaware National Guard. The Air component was established on September 6, 1946 and currently consists of the 166th Airlift Wing, which is served by more than 1,100 individuals. The Army component originated in 1655 when a group of settlers from Sweden defended the area from Dutch aggression.
The ribbon is red with a central section consisting of four thin vertical white stripes and three blue in an alternating pattern. The ribbon features a gold frame with a leaf pattern.