The Public Health Service Smallpox Eradication Campaign Ribbon honors PHSCC members who carried out no fewer than 90 days of service on the Smallpox Campaign between the dates of January 1, 1966 and October 26, 1977.
The United States Public Health Service Commissioned Corps (PHSCC) is the United States Public Health Service’s federal uniformed branch of service and falls under the aegis of the Department of Health and Human Services, led by the Surgeon General. The PHSCC traces its roots back to the establishment of the Marine Hospital Fund in 1798, which provided for the care of merchant sailors. Currently, the PHSCC is headquartered in Rockville, Maryland. The PHSCC grants certain awards to its members to acknowledge meritorious service or accomplishments.
The ribbon is bisected by a thin vertical maroon stripe and flanked on either side by a series of thin stripes in white, dark blue, maroon, dark blue, white, and maroon proceeding outward.